Collier County to reconsider mask ordinance on Sep. 3. Schools reopened Aug. 31 with four learning options: on-campus learning, Classroom Connect, eCollier Academy and home education.
Sep. 3 – Will Collier’s mask order be extended? Commissioners to decide Thursday. Naples Daily News, 9/1/20
- Special meeting to consider extension: Sep. 3, 1:00 PM. Details here.
Sep. 3 – BCC holds public hearing on Fiscal Year 2021 Tentative Millage Rates and Tentative Budget on September 3.
- Budget Hearing: Sep. 3, 5:05 PM. Details here.
Sep. 9 – Marco Island seeks community input for update of Comprehensive Plan.
- Community Survey available through Sep. 9. Survey here.
- Virtual community meeting Sep. 8, 5:30 – 7 PM. Details here.
Sep. 10 – County seeks input for East Naples Community Development Plan. Naples Daily News, 8/24/20.
- Public workshop: Sept. 10, 5:30 PM. Details here.
Note: The 8/31 figure includes a one-time historical data submission of 128 cases from Quest. According to the Department of Health county report for August 31, the number of new cases on 8/31 excluding the historical data submission was 57.
- DeSantis, DOH sever ties with Quest Diagnostics over COVID-19 testing backlog. Tallahassee Democrat, via, Naples Daily News, 9/1/20
For the latest news about the coronavirus in our area and across the state, visit:
Masks in Collier County
At the time of my last Update, published July 4, the Board of Collier County Commissioners (BCC) had rejected a proposed mask ordinance by a 3-2 vote. Here’s what happened next:
- Collier Tourism Advisory Board asks commissioners to take up issue of masks requirement again. Naples Daily News, 7/9/20
- Collier County mask mandate falls short on county’s record day of coronavirus cases. Naples Daily News, 7/15/20
- Collier commissioners pass masks mandate to curb spread of coronavirus. Naples Daily News, 7/21/20; Collier County Executive Order
- Collier County Commissioners and locals respond to the new county-wide mask mandate. FOX4Now.com, 7/26/20
- Seed to Table owner, legal team announce lawsuits against Collier County for mask mandate. Naples Daily News, 7/26/20
- Alfie Oakes files federal lawsuit against Collier County over mask order. Naples Daily News, 8/6/20
- Brent Batten: Collier officials get earful over mask mandate. Naples Daily News, 8/4/20
Masks in the City of Naples
- Naples Councilman Ray Christman supports mask ordinance, says local action is needed. Christman Newsletter, 7/15/20
- Naples City Council does not opt into Collier County mask mandate. Naples Daily News, 7/29/20
- NCH and city of Naples to team up on COVID-19 public health initiative. Naples Daily News, 8/19/20
Masks in the City of Marco Island
Marco Island did not adopt a mark ordinance.
- City of Marco Island COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions updated August 27, 2020. City of Marco Island, 8/27/20
Back to School
- Collier schools to offer on-campus and virtual learning; face coverings, safety glasses required on campus. Naples Daily News, 7/16/20
- Update: Safety glasses are “highly recommended”; not required
- Collier educators hold a drive-by demonstration in protest of schools reopening. Naples Daily News, 7/27/20
- Collier school board changes student start date to Aug. 31. Naples Daily News, 7/28/20
- Have questions about Collier schools and its reopening? Here are some answers. Naples Daily News, 8/12/20
- CCPS shares 3-1/2 minute video of what schools will look like at the start of the school year. Collier County Public Schools
- Contact tracing to be used in schools. WINK News, 8/20/20
- No fans allowed at Collier County Public Schools games this fall. Naples Daily News, 8/20/20
- Lee and Collier school districts differ in how they’re handling sharing COVID-19 cases. Naples Daily News, 8/21/20
- How many students selected to return to your child’s school? Here are the survey results. Naples Daily News, 8/24/20
- Collier public schools reach agreement with sports officials; no deal yet in Lee County. Naples Daily News, 8/26/20
- Collier County Schools prepare for first day of school. FOX4Now.com, 8/27/20
- Back to school in Collier County: A look inside an atypical first day back. Naples Daily News, 8/31/20
Business & Economy
- How beach parking closures hurt Southwest Florida cities, counties. Naples Daily News, 7/17/20
- Collier leaders sign off on proposed allocations for more than $67 million in coronavirus aid. Naples Daily News, 7/15/20
- Tourist tax collections plummet in Southwest Florida amid coronavirus pandemic. Naples Daily News, 8/20/20
Board of County Commissioners
- Amazon final mile facility coming to Naples. Coastal Breeze News, 7/23/20
- Collier County continues to grow and develop. There’s no stopping it. Naples Daily News, 8/12/20
- Collier infrastructure sales surtax collections hit $130M. Naples Chamber Blog, 8/13/20
- County’s new Paradise Sports Complex bursting onto the scene. Coastal Breeze News, 7/23/20
- Update: Clam Pass bathroom expansion and boardwalk replacement project. Collier Parks and Recreation via Commissioner Penny Taylor, 7/30/20
- In the Know: What’s with all those pipes around Immokalee Road and Logan Blvd.? Naples Daily News, 8/17/20
- Update: Palm River Bridge replacement, Vanderbilt Beach Road extension and more. Collier County Transportation Engineering Division, 8/17/20
- First look: Stock Development unveils architectural drawings for One Naples, controversy remains. Naples Daily News, 7/31/20
City of Naples
- What happened to the trees on Seagate Drive in Naples? Naples Daily News, 7/8/20
- Naples Code Enforcement Board votes to impose fines, put hefty liens on unfinished homes in Royal Harbor. Naples Daily News, 7/23/20
- Naples Airport study to look at noise exposure levels, reduction measures. Naples Daily News. 7/24/20
- Brent Batten: City issues fair warning on future building height variances. Naples Daily News, 7/28/20
- Timeline for new downtown Naples parking garage could move up. Naples Daily News, 8/12/20
- Naples plans two-step approach to save mangroves. Naples Daily News, 8/24/20
- Agency awards Naples $75K to continue climate change resiliency efforts. Naples Daily News, 8/27/20
City of Marco Island
- Marco Island police officer submitted false police report after drug arrest. Naples Daily News, 7/24/20
- Marco Island selects retired Deputy Chief Byrne as new fire chief. Marco Eagle, 7/27/20
Collier County Public Schools
- Collier appoints, promotes principals at 8 schools ahead of upcoming school year. Naples Daily News, 7/24/20
- In shadow of COVID-19, Collier schools approves $1.2 billion budget, slight tax increase. Naples Daily News, 7/28/20
Other Local Elected Bodies
- Collier County election results officially certified. Collier Supervisor of Elections, 8/21/20
- Collier Mosquito Control District is monitoring the dengue mosquito in Collier County. Collier Mosquito Control District Press Release, 7/14/20
Local news reported in this post is by
Brent Batten, Brittany Carloni, Rachel Fradette, Liz Freeman, Laura Layden, Omar Rodriguez Ortiz,
Devan Patel, Patrick Riley, and Karl Schneider
— USA TODAY Network – Florida: Naples Daily News, News-Press, Marco Eagle —
and Steve Stefanides and Scott H. Shook — Coastal Breeze News
Our State Legislators
- Former Collier County School Board member files ethical complaint against Byron Donalds. Florida Politics, 7/15/20
- Bob Rommel named to lead Florida Taxpayer Protection Caucus. Florida Daily, 8/4/20
Our U.S. Congressmen
- Rep. Rooney breaks silence, explains absences, says he’s still working for SWFL constituents. The Paradise Progressive, 7/31/20
- Guest opinion: ‘When I gather with others, even if distanced, I always wear a face mask’. by Congressman Francis Rooney via The News-Press, 8/15/20
- US House votes to protect, fund Postal Service; Rooney opposes, Diaz-Balart, Steube absent. The Paradise Progressive, 8/22/20
That’s it for July/August Collier County government news. Have a great September and stay safe!