This month, local residents and businesses had a second brief opportunity to apply through Collier County for federal CARES Act stimulus funding.
- Struggling financially during the coronavirus pandemic? Collier reopens portals for aid. Naples Daily News, 10/18/20
In addition, as it grappled with changing state guidance and deadlines pertaining to the coronavirus aid it received earlier in the year, the County began passing aide through to first responders and local governments.
- Collier to start reimbursing government agencies with virus aid, adds new grant for businesses. Naples Daily News, 10/28/20
Rather than extend the emergency mask order it passed in July and extended in September, Collier Commissioners passed a new order with a seemingly small but actually quite significant difference.
- Collier commission extends slightly tweaked mask mandate until April. Naples Daily News, 10/23/20
- Collier County’s new mask order. Sparker’s Soapbox, 10/25/20
Unlike the County, none of Collier County’s three municipalities adopted a mask order. In August, however, the City of Naples launched a public information and advertising campaign with the NCH Healthcare System called “All Heroes Wear Masks.”
- Naples, NCH initiative welcomes visitors for season, follows pandemic guidelines. WINKNews.com, 10/23/20
Meanwhile, Mayor Teresa Heitmann quarantined in her home beginning Oct. 1 after her daughter tested positive for coronavirus, and tested positive herself four days later.
- Naples Mayor Teresa Heitmann says she has recovered from coronavirus. Naples Daily News, 10/27/20
And after a Marco Island organization cancelled its annual Christmas parade and tree-lighting events to prevent the spread of COVID-19, the City Council considered if it should step in to keep the Island tradition alive.
- Marco Island Council takes no action to keep Christmas events amid COVID-19. Marco Eagle, 10/6/20
From the Board of County Commissioners
Collier County residents are represented on the Board of County Commissioners by one of five commissioners: Donna Fiala (District 1), Andy Solis (District 2), Burt Saunders (District 3), Penny Taylor (District 4) or Bill McDaniel (District 5).
Find Your Commissioner.
New This Month
The Board of County Commissioners approved a study to determine the feasibility of a proposed $250 million resort and amusement center adjacent to the Paradise Coast Sports Complex off Collier Boulevard and I-75.
- Breaking ground: Will the Great Wolf rise in Southwest Florida? Naples Daily News, 10/20/20
The BCC also approved an agreement to build a one-million-square-foot distribution center west of the Sports Complex.
- Uline Corp. inks deal with Collier commissioners to build distribution center. Naples Daily News, 10/13/20
Collier County Code Enforcement cited the site of a future North Naples charter school for violations of zoning laws in May. This month:
- Fogg’s Nursery in North Naples awaits decision on code enforcement case. Naples Daily News, 10/7/20
A roughly two-acre redevelopment site that remains vacant after several failed attempts by others attracted another potential buyer this month. BCC approval won’t be easy:
- Developer seeks tax rebates for catalyst project on East Naples triangle site. Naples Daily News, 10/13/20
One of three major toll-roads to be built as part of the state’s M-CORES (Multi-Use Corridors of Regional Economic Significance) project will run between Collier and Polk Counties. This month:
- Collier commissioners show M-CORES support, with conditions. Naples Daily News, 10/14/20
A Stock Development proposal to build a large condominium and retail complex on a prime piece of waterfront property in North Naples has faced well-organized community opposition for years. This month:
- Planning Commission delays vote on One Naples again. Naples Daily News, 10/16/20
The BCC purchased the Golden Gate Golf Course in August 2019 for $29 million with plans for its redevelopment to be determined. Then came an offer to build and operate an entertainment venue on the site. But this month:
- ClubCorp/BigShots Golf pulls out of agreement with Collier County on Golden Gate Golf Club. Naples Daily News, 10/23/20
Replenishing sand eroded from County beaches is a recurring, months-long, multi-million dollar process funded by the County’s tourist development tax on short-term rental and hotel stays. This year’s project will begin in November.
- Collier to begin $2 million beach renourishment project near Lowdermilk Park. Naples Daily News, 10/26/20
In March, the BCC adopted an Arts & Culture Strategic Plan that had been developed collaboratively by County and local government and The United Arts Council. This month, the BCC was to approve the contract for its administration.
- Collier commissioners quash vote on UAC arts management contract. Naples Daily News, 10/28/20
A new high school will be built to accommodate North Naples’ aging student population in the coming years, requiring investment in infrastructure to provide access to the site. This month:
- Collier moves ahead with Veterans Memorial Boulevard extension for new high school. Naples Daily News, 10/29/20
A 2018 study of the U.S. 41 East corridor was followed by a survey, stakeholder meetings and public workshops earlier this year. This month, Commissioners adopted a plan to guide development and redevelopment in the area:
- Plan to guide development in East Naples seeks more commercial, green space. Naples Daily News, 10/31/20
- Friends of Commissioner Fiala honor 20 years of service. Coastal Breeze News, 10/1/20
From Naples City Council
New This Month
Naples City Council unanimously approved a permit for yet another Naples art show event, despite the possibility it would draw money away from the eight existing City art shows and concern about its use of outside help to organize the show.
- Naples Uptown Art Festival joins the City calendar. Naples Daily News, 10/25/20
Naples has separate pension systems for its police, fire, and general employees, all funded by contributions from the City, its employees and investment earnings. As the result of votes of the three pension boards this month:
- Naples to contribute more to pensions to offset lower expected investment returns. Naples Daily News, 10/30/20
In 2019, the Old Naples Association petitioned City Council to limit the use of noisy leaf blowers in Old Naples neighborhoods. This month:
- Leaf blower noise regulations approved in Naples, go into effect in 2021. Naples Daily News, 10/21/20
In August, 62 percent of City of Naples voters approved a referendum that amends the City’s charter to establish an independent ethics commission and an ethics office and to set minimum requirements for the City’s ethics code.
- Naples ethics commission appointments rolling in after August referendum. Naples Daily News, 11/1/20
From Marco Island City Council
New This Month
- Marco Island Council approves new noise ordinance as complaints grow. Naples Daily News, 10/9/20
- Marco Island City Council approves $2.25M purchase of Medical Arts Center building. Naples Daily News, 10/20/20
- Bridge license plate readers given approval. Coastal Breeze News, 10/29/20
- Long-awaited Goodland Road project to begin in December. Coastal Breeze News, 9/24/20
- Marco Island Council amends ordinance banning recreational marijuana to fix ‘deficiencies’. Naples Daily News, 10/6/20
- Council continues to wrestle with short-term rentals. Coastal Breeze News, 10/8/20
- Process, site plans & stormwater discussions at Planning Board. Coastal Breeze News, 10/8/20
- Marco Island City Councilor Victor Rios to resign for ‘personal reasons’. Naples Daily News, 10/6/20
- Outgoing Marco Island councilors Roman, Reed, Rios and Honig say goodbye. Naples Daily News, 10/20/20
From Collier County Public Schools
- Water bottle refilling stations and bus hand sanitizer system approved by Collier County School Board. NBC-2.com, 10/7/20
- Collier, Lee school districts plan learning options for spring semester. Naples Daily News, 10/8/20
- ‘It’s a good deal’: Collier school district, union agree to teacher pay raise. Naples Daily News, 10/10/20
- Collier’s School Board chairwoman pushes to discuss rezoning schools. Naples Daily News, 10/30/20
From the Collier County Sheriff
- ‘We deserve to know what happened’: Family, community demand transparency in case of man killed by deputy. Naples Daily News, 10/28/20
- Cellphone users in Collier can now send photos, video to 911 dispatchers. Naples Daily News, 10/30/20
From the Collier County Supervisor of Elections
- Collier’s voter registration system was down for hours before Florida’s system crashed. Naples Daily News, 10/6/20
- Curbside ballot drop-offs offered in Collier County. NBC-2.com, 10/14/20
- Collier County Supervisor of Elections Newsletter. Fall 2020
From our State Legislators
Parts of Collier County are represented in the Florida House of Representatives by Rep. Byron Donalds (District 80), Rep. Bob Rommel (District 106), and Rep. Ana Maria Rodriguez (District 105). All of Collier County is represented in the Florida Senate by Sen. Kathleen Passidomo. Find Your State Representatives
- Byron Donalds tests positive for COVID-19, ahead of Trump event in Fort Myers. The News-Press, 10/17/20
- Byron Donalds attended basketball game day before testing positive for COVID-19. NBC-2.com, 10/20/20
- Byron Donalds campaigning again after recovering from COVID-19. NBC-2.com, 10/27/20
- Bob Rommel reflects on ‘Reagan’ and the fight against socialism in new ad. The Capitolist, 10/5/20
From our U.S. Congressmen
Parts of Collier County are represented in the U.S. Congress by Congressman Francis Rooney (District 19) and Congressman Mario Diaz-Balart (District 25). Find Your U.S. Representative
- Francis Rooney: ‘No doubt’ Joe Biden has the better coronavirus approach. Florida Politics, 10/19/20
- Brent Batten: Rooney waiting for COVID-19 relief package that may or may not come. Naples Daily News, 10/24/20
- Francis Rooney talks impeachment, the Everglades and why scientists should lead on pandemic policy. Florida Politics, 10/26/20
- Exclusive: Retiring Congressman Rooney reflects on Trump’s presidency, COVID-19 response. NBC-2.com, 10/30/20
- Ted Deutch, Mario Díaz-Balart outline U.S. foreign policy goals in age of COVID-19. Florida Politics, 10/5/20
Local News reported in this post is by Jake Allen, Brent Batten, Brittany Carloni, Rachel Fradette, Liz Freeman, Frank Gluck, Greg Hardwig, Harriet Howard Heithaus, Laura Layden, Omar Rodriguez Ortiz, Patrick Riley, Karl Schneider (USA Today Network – Florida: Naples Daily News, News-Press, Marco Eagle); and Steve Stefanides (Coastal Breeze News)