Board of County Commissioners
Collier County residents are represented by one of five elected county commissioners.
Find Your County Commissioner
The Board of County Commissioners (BCC) held regular meetings on February 9, February 23, and a special meeting to consider zoning changes for the One Naples development (see below) on March 1. Agendas and video replays HERE.
Actions Related to Development Projects
After several years of project revisions, Commissioners approved zoning changes that enable Stock Development to build One Naples, a controversial, multi-million dollar, resort-style luxury project at the corner of Vanderbilt Beach Road and Gulf Shore Drive in North Naples. See the One Naples website HERE and the website of the community group that opposed the project HERE. The vote was 4-1 with Commissioner Penny Taylor voting no.
- ‘It’s so immense’: Protesters build wall to protest One Naples project as key vote approaches. Naples Daily News, 2/27/21
- Collier County officials approve One Naples after surprise revisions. Naples Daily News, 3/2/21
Housing developments in eastern Collier County
Collier Enterprises’ plans to develop a town or trio of villages (including the previously-approved Rivergrass Village) east of Golden Gate Estates continue to evolve, but still draw concerns from environmental groups and others. This month, the County Planning Commission unanimously approved changes requested by the developer to the County’s rural growth plan, sending the plans ahead for commissioner approval. They are scheduled to make a final decision on the other two villages in late April.
- Collier Enterprises reintroduces plan for town in rural Collier County. Naples Daily News, 2/16/21
Separately, developers who propose a village just west of Everglades Boulevard on Immokalee Road are also requesting zoning changes. The developer is a partnership linked to Palm Beach billionaire Jeff Greene, who ran unsuccessfully for governor in 2018. The village would contain up to 4,000 residences with areas set aside for commercial and civil development.
- Rural village proposal on Immokalee Road draws concerns. Naples Daily News, 2/18/21
Great Wolf Resort and Indoor Water Park
Great Wolf Resorts wants to build a 550-room resort and indoor water park on 20 acres near the county’s Paradise Coast Sports Complex off Collier Boulevard. The proposed development is expected to generate more than $5 billion in net new spending and more than 1,400 direct and indirect full-time equivalent jobs and accrue $150 million in taxes over a 30-year period. This month, Commissioners authorized staff to begin negotiations with the developer on its requested incentives.
- Great Wolf Resorts, Collier to start negotiations on incentive package. Naples Daily News, 2/24/21
Big Cypress Basin Expansion
Last month, I wrote about Lee County’s effort to add areas of south Lee County including Estero and Bonita Springs to the Big Cypress Basin. That part of Lee County is currently in another part of the South Florida Water Management District known as the Okeechobee Basin. As proposed Florida Senate and House bills (SB 406/HB 209) now stand, Lee County would share with Collier authority over how the Big Cypress Basin is managed and what projects within the Basin are funded.
After a lengthy discussion at their February 23 meeting, Collier County Commissioners voted 4-1 to oppose the bills unless certain amendments are made.
- State bill to expand Big Cypress Basin authority draws concerns. Naples Daily News, 3/2/21
- Lee, Collier counties may seek to patch rift over water district funds. The News-Press, 3/3/21
County Manager Search
This month, the BCC agreed on five candidates to succeed County Manager Leo Ochs when he retires in May. Only one of them, Mark Isackson, was named a finalist by all five commissioners. Isackson is currently Collier County’s Director of the Office of Management and Budget. Watch his presentation on the 2021-22 budget assumptions at the BCC’s 2/23/21 meeting HERE (starting at 3:39:29). The finalists were invited to make presentations to Commissioners at their first meeting in March.
- Collier commissioners narrow search for next county manager. Naples Daily News, 2/11/21
Other BCC News
- Collier County commissioners choose location for $25 million mental health center. WINK News, 2/23/21
- Collier County commissioners approve $2.9M contract for Goodland Drive project. Naples Daily News, 2/24/21
Naples City Council
Naples City Council held regular meetings on February 3 and 17 and on March 3, and a workshop on February 16 (agendas and video replays HERE). Of note was Council’s consideration of a proposed ordinance to limit building heights in the City to 42 feet. After discussion, the decision was postponed because the ordinance did not clearly state that the 42-foot height limit included rooftop mechanical equipment.
- No decision for Naples building height limits. NBC-2.com, 3/3/21
Marco Island City Council
Marco Island City Council held regular meetings on February 1, February 22 and March 1 and held a special-called meeting on February 22. Agendas and video replays HERE. As reported by local journalists:
- Proposed assisted living facility takes a small step forward. Coastal Breeze News, 2/4/21
- City Council asks for a rewrite on proposed turtle lighting revisions. Coastal Breeze News, 2/4/21
- Marco Island moves forward with plans to build new Fire Station 50. Marco Eagle, 2/25/21
As we wrote last month, former City Councilor Victor Rios was arrested on charges of voting fraud earlier this month. Since then:
- Neighbors helped FDLE build case against former Marco Island Councilor. Marco Eagle, 2/19/21
- Former Marco Island councilor Victor Rios pleads not guilty. Marco Eagle, 2/24/21
District School Board of Collier County
The District School Board of Collier County held a regular meeting on February 9 and a work session on February 16 to consider changes to district policies. Agendas and video replays HERE.
- Graduation ‘No. 1 priority’ for Collier schools as district plans on-campus ceremonies. Naples Daily News, 2/11/21
- Collier County school board approves 2022-23 school calendar, leaves option to revisit next year. Naples Daily News, 2/11/21
Also this month, the District received a $146,000 grant from the state to develop a pre-apprenticeship training program.
- Lorenzo Walker Technical College expands HVAC programs after state grants. Naples Daily News, 2/27/21
Other Local Elected Officials
As Collier County Sheriff Kevin Rambosk enters his fourth term of office, making the most of technology to maintain low crime, meeting the needs of the community and keeping up with growth are among his priorities.
- Sheriff Rambosk sets priorities for fourth term. Collier Star, 2/12/21
Collier Sheriff / 20th Circuit State Attorney
Nicholas Morales-Bessannia, 37, was shot by a Collier County Sheriff’s Office deputy outside a home in the Farm Workers Village neighborhood in Immokalee in September 2020. This month, the deputy was cleared of wrongdoing by State Attorney Amira Fox. The Collier County Sheriff’s office will now conduct a Professional Responsibility Bureau investigation to ensure that agency policies and procedures were followed during the encounter (press release)Immokalee residents continue to demand justice.
- State Attorney’s Office: No charges vs. Collier deputy who fatally shot Immokalee man. Naples Daily News, 2/13/21
- Coalition of Immokalee Workers releases list of demands after deputy cleared in shooting death. Naples Daily News, 2/25/21
- Immokalee residents demand justice at vigil for single father killed by Collier deputy. Naples Daily News, 3/1/21
Parts of Collier County are represented in the Florida House of Representatives by Reps. Bob Rommel (District 106), Lauren Melo (District 80), and David Borrero (District 105). All of Collier County is represented in the Florida Senate by Sen. Kathleen Passidomo.
Find Your State Representative
- Governor Ron DeSantis announces $75 million in awards to bolster Florida communities’ resilience to future storms. Collier County to receive funding for Immokalee Sports Complex, Immokalee Branch Library, Golden Gate Senior Center and Marion E. Fether Medical Center. Via Sen. Kathleen Passidomo newsletter, 2/5/21
- Legislature looking at diminishing home rule. State Sen. Kathleen Passidomo and House Rep. Bob Rommel both support and chair the Senate and House committees that have approved a proposed vacation rental bill strongly backed by vacation rental giants VRBO and Airbnb. Coastal Breeze News, 2/25/21; SB 1988/HB 1481
U.S. House of Representatives
Key Votes in the U.S. House
Approving $1.9 trillion in virus relief
Diaz-Balart — No; Donalds — No
HR 1319 passed 219 / 212 on 2/17/21
Outlawing discrimination based on sexual orientation
Diaz-Balart — No; Donalds — No
HR 5 passed 224 / 206 on 2/25/21
Protecting America’s wilderness and public lands
Diaz-Balart — No; Donalds — No
HR 803 passed 227/200 on 2/26/21
District 25: Mario Diaz-Balart
- Diaz-Balart: President Biden’s immigration plan is unrealistic, purely partisan. Press Release, 2/18/21
- Miami Republican Mario Diaz-Balart flips vote on bill to provide protections for LGBTQ people. Miami Herald, 2/25/21; Press Release
- Diaz-Balart: The new PPP= Pelosi’s political payoff. Press Release, 2/27/21
District 19: Byron Donalds
- Rep. Byron Donalds joins OANN discussing President Biden’s new disastrous immigration policy. Via YouTube, week of 2/15/21
- Congressman Byron Donalds connects with Black small business owners for policy ideas. The News-Press, 2/26/21
- Byron Donalds tells CPAC criminal justice is more than ‘punishment’. Florida Politics, 2/27/21
Local News Reported in This Post Is by:
Maria Lamb, Steve Stefanides (Coastal Breeze News); Tim Aten (Florida Weekly); Jake Allen, Britany Carloni, Rachel Fradette, Omar Rodriguez Ortiz, Karl Schneider (Naples Daily News); Christy Soto (NBC-2 News); David Dorsey, Bill Smith, Amy Bennett Williams (The News-Press); and Rachel Cox-Rosen, Taylor Smith, Gina Tomlinson (WINK News)