Collier County to reconsider mask ordinance on Sep. 3. Schools reopened Aug. 31 with four learning options: on-campus learning, Classroom Connect, eCollier Academy and home education.
Sep. 3 – Will Collier’s mask order be extended? Commissioners to decide Thursday. Naples Daily News, 9/1/20
- Special meeting to consider extension: Sep. 3, 1:00 PM. Details here.
- Budget Hearing: Sep. 3, 5:05 PM. Details here.
- Community Survey available through Sep. 9. Survey here.
- Virtual community meeting Sep. 8, 5:30 – 7 PM. Details here.
Sep. 10 – County seeks input for East Naples Community Development Plan. Naples Daily News, 8/24/20.
- Public workshop: Sept. 10, 5:30 PM. Details here.
Note: The 8/31 figure includes a one-time historical data submission of 128 cases from Quest. According to the Department of Health county report for August 31, the number of new cases on 8/31 excluding the historical data submission was 57.
- DeSantis, DOH sever ties with Quest Diagnostics over COVID-19 testing backlog. Tallahassee Democrat, via, Naples Daily News, 9/1/20
For the latest news about the coronavirus in our area and across the state, visit:
Masks in Collier County
At the time of my last Update, published July 4, the Board of Collier County Commissioners (BCC) had rejected a proposed mask ordinance by a 3-2 vote. Here’s what happened next:
- Collier Tourism Advisory Board asks commissioners to take up issue of masks requirement again. Naples Daily News, 7/9/20
- Collier County mask mandate falls short on county’s record day of coronavirus cases. Naples Daily News, 7/15/20
- Collier commissioners pass masks mandate to curb spread of coronavirus. Naples Daily News, 7/21/20; Collier County Executive Order
- Collier County Commissioners and locals respond to the new county-wide mask mandate. FOX4Now.com, 7/26/20
- Seed to Table owner, legal team announce lawsuits against Collier County for mask mandate. Naples Daily News, 7/26/20
- Alfie Oakes files federal lawsuit against Collier County over mask order. Naples Daily News, 8/6/20
- Brent Batten: Collier officials get earful over mask mandate. Naples Daily News, 8/4/20
Masks in the City of Naples
- Naples Councilman Ray Christman supports mask ordinance, says local action is needed. Christman Newsletter, 7/15/20
- Naples City Council does not opt into Collier County mask mandate. Naples Daily News, 7/29/20
- NCH and city of Naples to team up on COVID-19 public health initiative. Naples Daily News, 8/19/20
Masks in the City of Marco Island
Marco Island did not adopt a mark ordinance.
- City of Marco Island COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions updated August 27, 2020. City of Marco Island, 8/27/20
Back to School
- Collier schools to offer on-campus and virtual learning; face coverings, safety glasses required on campus. Naples Daily News, 7/16/20
- Update: Safety glasses are “highly recommended”; not required
- Collier educators hold a drive-by demonstration in protest of schools reopening. Naples Daily News, 7/27/20
- Collier school board changes student start date to Aug. 31. Naples Daily News, 7/28/20
- Have questions about Collier schools and its reopening? Here are some answers. Naples Daily News, 8/12/20
- CCPS shares 3-1/2 minute video of what schools will look like at the start of the school year. Collier County Public Schools
- Contact tracing to be used in schools. WINK News, 8/20/20
- No fans allowed at Collier County Public Schools games this fall. Naples Daily News, 8/20/20
- Lee and Collier school districts differ in how they’re handling sharing COVID-19 cases. Naples Daily News, 8/21/20
- How many students selected to return to your child’s school? Here are the survey results. Naples Daily News, 8/24/20
- Collier public schools reach agreement with sports officials; no deal yet in Lee County. Naples Daily News, 8/26/20
- Collier County Schools prepare for first day of school. FOX4Now.com, 8/27/20
- Back to school in Collier County: A look inside an atypical first day back. Naples Daily News, 8/31/20
Business & Economy
- How beach parking closures hurt Southwest Florida cities, counties. Naples Daily News, 7/17/20
- Collier leaders sign off on proposed allocations for more than $67 million in coronavirus aid. Naples Daily News, 7/15/20
- Tourist tax collections plummet in Southwest Florida amid coronavirus pandemic. Naples Daily News, 8/20/20
Board of County Commissioners
- Amazon final mile facility coming to Naples. Coastal Breeze News, 7/23/20
- Collier County continues to grow and develop. There’s no stopping it. Naples Daily News, 8/12/20
- Collier infrastructure sales surtax collections hit $130M. Naples Chamber Blog, 8/13/20
- County’s new Paradise Sports Complex bursting onto the scene. Coastal Breeze News, 7/23/20
- Update: Clam Pass bathroom expansion and boardwalk replacement project. Collier Parks and Recreation via Commissioner Penny Taylor, 7/30/20
- In the Know: What’s with all those pipes around Immokalee Road and Logan Blvd.? Naples Daily News, 8/17/20
- Update: Palm River Bridge replacement, Vanderbilt Beach Road extension and more. Collier County Transportation Engineering Division, 8/17/20
- First look: Stock Development unveils architectural drawings for One Naples, controversy remains. Naples Daily News, 7/31/20
City of Naples
- What happened to the trees on Seagate Drive in Naples? Naples Daily News, 7/8/20
- Naples Code Enforcement Board votes to impose fines, put hefty liens on unfinished homes in Royal Harbor. Naples Daily News, 7/23/20
- Naples Airport study to look at noise exposure levels, reduction measures. Naples Daily News. 7/24/20
- Brent Batten: City issues fair warning on future building height variances. Naples Daily News, 7/28/20
- Timeline for new downtown Naples parking garage could move up. Naples Daily News, 8/12/20
- Naples plans two-step approach to save mangroves. Naples Daily News, 8/24/20
- Agency awards Naples $75K to continue climate change resiliency efforts. Naples Daily News, 8/27/20
City of Marco Island
- Marco Island police officer submitted false police report after drug arrest. Naples Daily News, 7/24/20
- Marco Island selects retired Deputy Chief Byrne as new fire chief. Marco Eagle, 7/27/20
Collier County Public Schools
- Collier appoints, promotes principals at 8 schools ahead of upcoming school year. Naples Daily News, 7/24/20
- In shadow of COVID-19, Collier schools approves $1.2 billion budget, slight tax increase. Naples Daily News, 7/28/20
Other Local Elected Bodies
- Collier County election results officially certified. Collier Supervisor of Elections, 8/21/20
- Collier Mosquito Control District is monitoring the dengue mosquito in Collier County. Collier Mosquito Control District Press Release, 7/14/20
Local news reported in this post is by
Brent Batten, Brittany Carloni, Rachel Fradette, Liz Freeman, Laura Layden, Omar Rodriguez Ortiz,
Devan Patel, Patrick Riley, and Karl Schneider
— USA TODAY Network – Florida: Naples Daily News, News-Press, Marco Eagle —
and Steve Stefanides and Scott H. Shook — Coastal Breeze News
Our State Legislators
Parts of Collier County are represented in the Florida House of Representatives by Rep. Byron Donalds (District 80), Rep. Bob Rommel (District 106), and Rep. Ana Maria Rodriguez (District 105). All of Collier County is represented in the Florida Senate by Sen. Kathleen Passidomo.
Find your representatives
- Former Collier County School Board member files ethical complaint against Byron Donalds. Florida Politics, 7/15/20
- Bob Rommel named to lead Florida Taxpayer Protection Caucus. Florida Daily, 8/4/20
Our U.S. Congressmen
Parts of Collier County are represented in the U.S. Congress by Rep. Byron Donalds (District 19) and Rep. Mario Diaz-Balart (District 25).
Find your representative
- Rep. Rooney breaks silence, explains absences, says he’s still working for SWFL constituents. The Paradise Progressive, 7/31/20
- Guest opinion: ‘When I gather with others, even if distanced, I always wear a face mask’. by Congressman Francis Rooney via The News-Press, 8/15/20
- US House votes to protect, fund Postal Service; Rooney opposes, Diaz-Balart, Steube absent. The Paradise Progressive, 8/22/20
That’s it for July/August Collier County government news. Have a great September and stay safe!